Tuesday 28 October 2014

Uncle Vanya - St James Theatre

Maybe it was just me, but I really didn’t understand RussellBolam’s interpretation of this Chekhov piece. Rather than a country state house, the play is set in a farmhouse, fair enough, but the modern day costumes I feel really let it down. John Hannah, who plays Vanya, was my inspiration for seeing this piece as I’ve always enjoyed his screen work. Not so for the stage in this instance I’m afraid. Yelena, played by Rebecca Knight, seemed like a pointless character who strutted up and down the stage looking gorgeous but brought nothing to the piece.  Thank God for Astrov (Joe Dixon) the handsome doctor who at least brought some air of a comedic element to the piece and saved me dying of complete boredom. I did, however, really enjoy the scene changes carried out by the actors as one of the characters strummed away on his guitar. This guitar playing was fine and even slightly amusing for the set changes but during the course of the performance it seemed out of place, unnecessary and sometimes a little annoying.

Uncle Vanya can be seen @ St James Theatre until 8th November

No comments:

Post a Comment